How to Belong
At THE LORD’S CHURCH OF ASHEVILLE we recognize the need for a formal membership. We offer a two hour Church Membership Class for all those who join the church so that all new members have a clear understanding of what church membership entails. We ask you to commit to membership for four reasons:
1. A BIBLICAL REASON: CHRIST IS COMMITTED TO THE CHURCH. “…Christ loved the church, and he gave his life for it.” Ephesians 5:25
2. A CULTURAL REASON: IT IS AN ANTIDOTE TO OUR SOCIETY.
We live in an age where very few want to be committed to anything…a job…a marriage…our country. This attitude has even produced a generation of “church shoppers and hoppers.” Membership swims against the current of America’s “consumer religion.” It is an unselfish decision which requires commitment. God wants us to make a commitment to him first and foremost and to a local church so that we can become established in the faith and grow in Christian character.
3. A PRACTICAL REASON: IT DEFINES WHO CAN BE COUNTED ON.
Every team must have a roster. Every school must have an enrollment. Every business has a payroll. Every army has an enlistment. Even our country takes a census and requires voter registration. Membership identifies our family.
4. A PERSONAL REASON: IT PRODUCES SPIRITUAL GROWTH
The New Testament places a major emphasis on the need for Christians to be accountable to each other for spiritual growth. You cannot be accountable when you’re not committed to any specific church family.
At THE LORD’S CHURCH OF ASHEVILLE we never ask our members to do more than the Bible clearly teaches. We only expect our members to do what the Bible expects every Christian to do. These responsibilities are spelled out in the Membership Covenant.
“Having received Christ as my Lord and Savior and been baptized, and being in agreement with THE LORD’S CHURCH OF ASHEVILLE’s statements, strategy and structure, I now feel led by the Holy Spirit to unite with THE LORD’S CHURCH OF ASHEVILLE family. In doing so, I commit myself to God and to the other members to do the following:
I. I will protect the unity of my church:
• By acting in love toward other members
• By refusing to gossip
• By following the leaders
II. I will share the responsibility of my church
• By praying for its growth
• By inviting the unchurched to attend
• By warmly welcoming those who visit
III. I will serve the ministry of my church
• By discovering my gifts and talents
• By being equipped to serve by my pastors
• By developing a servant’s heart
IV. I will support the testimony of my church
• By attending faithfully
• By living a godly life
• By giving regularly